Based in Vancouver on the west coast of Canada, Doug Kerr is an experienced trainer and management consultant who specializes in:
- Appreciative Inquiry workshops
- Instructional skills development and training program design
- Management development – from front-line supervisors to senior executives
- Facilitation of group processes with intact management and work teams
- Executive coaching and training executive coaches
- Commercial negotiation skills training and consulting.
Over the past 30 years Doug has worked across the continent with a broad range of clientele, including all levels of business and industry, post-secondary institutions, public health organizations, and non-profit organizations. Doug has been certified by Company of Experts.net as both an Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator and an Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training (AIFT©) Trainer.
The Instructional Skills Workshop Program (ISW)
Doug is known internationally as the original developer of the Instructional Skills Workshop program (ISW), an intensive, video-based micro-teaching training program for post-secondary instructors. Since its inception in 1978, the program has trained over 5,000 post-secondary instructors in British Columbia, as well as thousands more across Canada. It has been conducted in the UK, several African countries including Zimbabwe and Ghana, the United Arab Emirates, and a number of Caribbean countries. The program has been implemented state-wide in California, and has been conducted in over 20 states in the USA.
Training for Trainers
Since going private in 1981, Doug has trained thousands of workshop participants to design and deliver training within their own organizations – health professionals, tradespeople, managers, retail clerks, academics, engineers, technicians, firefighters – people from all walks of life, from sea to sea to sea.
Leadership Development/Management Development
The three four-day Supervisory Skills Workshops Doug began designing in 1994 for the Yukon Territorial Government have become recognized as the standard training program for entry-level supervisors and managers across the territory. Doug has also custom-designed training programs for a broad range of both public- and private-sector middle managers and senior executives for over 25 years.
Doug Kerr is a master facilitator. Over the past thirty years Doug has designed and facilitated workshops and conferences for a broad range of leadership teams and work teams in both the public and private sector. Doug brings to his facilitation work a sense of timing, an understanding of the need for both engagement and detachment, an appreciation of the capabilities of groups, and a sense of humor. Doug custom designs every workshop he facilitates, based on input from the group and the organization. Some of the types of workshops and conferences Doug has facilitated are listed below:
- Appreciative Inquiry
- Fundamental Change Processes
- Contemporary First Nations Governance, Leadership, and Management – for politically elected leaders and senior managers in First Nations communities
- Strategic Planning – for Boards of Directors of not-for-profit organizations and senior managers in a variety of private and public sector organizations
- Effective Self-Management Skills – workshops for troubled managers – i.e., managers in difficulty within their own organization
- Team Development – workshops designed to help management teams and work teams increase their effectiveness
In his work as a trainer and facilitator, Doug has coached hundreds of executives, professionals, managers, board members, and political representatives. He is a graduate of the Senior Level Intensive Certificate Program of The Center for Executive Coaching, Professional School of Psychology, Sacramento, CA, and a co-trainer of the program with Dr. William Bergquist. As a certificated executive coach, Doug brings an appreciative approach to his work with his coaching colleagues.
Negotiation Skills Training
Over the past 10 years Doug has designed and conducted intensive, experiential training workshops in negotiation skills for cleintele ranging from First Nations treaty negotiators to purchasing agents, salespeople, consultants, managers, and executives.
Doug holds a Master of Education degree in adult education from the University of British Columbia, and a professional teaching certificate from Notre Dame University in British Columbia. His Bachelor of Arts in English and philosophy was earned at Bishop’s University.
Doug Kerr is an energetic, enthusiastic consultant and trainer who brings integrity, perspective, and over 30 years of experience to every consulting assignment he takes on.
Hire This Expert >
- Appreciative Inquiry
- Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training
- Change Management
- Executive Coaching
- Instructional Design
- Instructional Skills Workshops (ISW)
- Instructional Skills Workshops (ISW) Facilitator Training
- Leadership Development
- Learning Organizations
- Management Development
- Organization Development
- Performance managment
- Presentation Skills Workshops (PSW)
- Sales Training
- Strategic Planning
- Strength Deployment Inventory and Relationship Awareness Theory (TM)
- Team Development